Thursday, April 1, 2010

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In 10 years?

I hate this standard interview question, which is probably why interviewers love to ask it. I think it’s important to have plans and goals but it’s also important to take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves, be flexible, and be adaptable. In interviews I usually gave a very vanilla answer to this question like “Continuously manage bigger and more complex projects, eventually transitioning into Program and Portfolio Management.” I used to think this meant I wasn’t very creative or didn’t have vision. Then I decided to go into business for myself and realized I am creative, I do have vision, and I know exactly where I want to be in 10 years.

I want to own my own companies. (Yes, companies, plural.) I want to generate an income that will allow me to pay the bills, save for retirement, and have fun along the way. I want flexibility. I want to be in control of my career. I know myself well enough to know I can get there and I also know I need to be careful with how much risk I take as I work towards those goals. So here is the 5 and 10 year plan.

Year 1: Work two jobs; one for someone else, one as owner of Meta-Franchise Consulting. Become an expert in my new industry (franchise consulting). Build a client base and pipeline. Generate income from my new business.

Years 2-5: Focus exclusively on Meta-Franchise Consulting. Grow the business by 10% every year. Be on the look-out for exciting new franchises in the marketplace.

Years 6-7: Choose a franchise whose concept, product, and management I believe in. Become a master franchisee or area developer for the company, opening multiple locations in my chosen territory. Continue to run Meta-Franchise Consulting.

Years 8-10: Enjoy my career as the owner of multiple small businesses. Nurture them and grow them. Mentor others wanting to be small business owners. And, going back to the top of this post, generate an income that will allow me to pay the bills, save for retirement, and have FUN along the way.

http://www.metafranchiseconsulting.com/
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment